Re: Yarra Trams given to Metrolink

In article <%3Wd3.17368$PN5.45262@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "John Wayman"
<trecker@bigpond.com> wrote:

> > > Why not just build a tram line up High Street to Reservoir? It would
> have
> > > more traffic potential.
> >
> > There is already a railway line serving that that route. Hmm. Looking at
> > the map and considering the topography, an extension of the West Preston
> > line from Regent Street to Henty Street is a logical development.
> >
> > David McLoughlin
> > Auckland New Zealand
>
> If the tramway parallelling the railway south of Dundas Street is viable,
> why not north of Dundas Street as well?

The big problems I see with this proposal are (1) the Preston strip
shopping centre (too much road traffic currently); and (2) there are
already at least two bus services (the 552 I think and one other) which run
straight up High St to East Reservoir.

Shame really, because the idea has some merit.

Of course, what they should do is create a loop which runs High St-Dundas
St (towards the hump)-Ethel St-Hutton St, thereby making Thornbury station
a major train/tram interchange with a number of small spur routes coming
out from this interchange. An example of such a spur would be running a
tram route from this hypothetical interchage up Plenty Rd and then along
Murray Rd to Northland. Doubtless there are other ideas too, but my brain's
still not with it at this early stage of the day.

Cheers,
Paul