Re: VIC - MELBOURNE - TRAMWAY SIGNALS

: I believe that the digital display was to tell tram drivers which road
: to park the tram in. I have never actually seen it in use, certainly
: not in the years I was working at Kew. Back then, the driver was
: directed which set of points to use by someone holding out their left
: or right arm. Passing the starter's office, they were then told the
: particular road to go down, either by shouting or fingers in the air.

The only place I have seen them in use is at Brunswick (Moreland) sometimes
the driver gets out goes over to the pole with a box (phone inside) and
tells them his tram number and they add it to the board.

Can be seen from the Upfield Train.

: Best wishes,
: Malcolm

--