Re: Steam every day down here in Mexico for next 19 days

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:46:32 +1000, "Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)"
<ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>I rang WCR this morning (Thurs 1st July) & was told the only steam run was
>on the Saturday (10th July)

Ron,

I suppose we have to forgive you northerners with barely one mainline
steam loco in service, but you might be interested to know we have
four operational R classes in Victoria...

R707 (707 Operations),
R711 (West Coast Railways),
R761 (Steamrail),
R766 (Privately owned, on loan to Steamrail).

The proposed activity for the next eight days is:

Saturday 3/7/99    R711 to Warrnambool and return
Sunday    4/7/99    R711 to St Arnaud and return
Mon-Fri 5-9/7/99 R761 and/or R766 and/or R707
Melb - Geelong and return (in the past the two or three Rs have run
the July Holiday trains in rotation)
Saturday 10/7/99  R711 to Warrnambool and return

1.  My original message stated

>Sunday 4 July R711 performs for the ARHS with a 115km/h tour to St
>Arnaud, Mon 5  - Fri 9 July sees R class on Geelong passes (school
>holidays), then Sat 10 July R711 to Warrnambool.

I didn't specify that R711 was going to run the weekday Geelong
services:  in fact, the Geelong services are run by a different
operator to WCR (don't you just love privatisation<g!>?).  Seeing WCR
don't own or run the VLP/NE services, their staff probably don't keep
up with what the other operators are doing.

AFAIK, R711 returns to Melbourne from Warrnambool on the Friday
evening WCR service so that it can run the Saturday WCR day return to
Warrnambool.

Regards

Yuri
--