Re: Bromage really is GOD!!!

On 30 Jun 1999 05:08:15 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:

><<<<> > I have good recollections of many events when I was four years old, and
>> > remember some from before then.
>>
>> I can remember the Queen's visit, the last ship in the river in my home
>> town and the big flood all in Feb 1954 and I was born in 1951.>>>>>
>
>Are you then saying that at the same age you could identify a particular train
>as "The Overland" and "recall" that on a particular day it ran in 5 divisions?
>
>I must have a very poor memory because my earliest train memory is of a steam
>loco shunting at Bendigo and of the Southern Aurora crash both in1969, at which
>time I was 6.

My earliest train memory is of being lifted into the cab of the Spirit
of Progress at Spencer Street as a three or four year old in 1953-54.
I am convinced it was a steam S class, but haven't ever asked my
parents about the year to avoid ruining my recollection of being in
the cab of a streamlined S.

I also remember changing trains at Albury, and leaning out of the
window in NSW and seeing the smoke and exhaust from the loco up front
- probably a 38 but I have no recollection of that.

Cheers from an old JD

John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html