Re: Rail lobby - enlisting Joe Average.

Maurie Daly wrote:

> The point of all of this , is that I dont beleive that currently the various
> State Railway administrations give a stuff about the non level playing field
> and are deliberately continuing to do what they have done for the last 100
> years or so , simply playing trains in their own little states.

The crux of the discussion is here. The present govt rlys are being deliberately engineered for
failure but in such a way so as to look like they are trying to progress. Sounds double dutch but
it is true. Or else why would the rlys masters - the govt - constantly give in to the road lobby
and starve their own transport companies for funds. The only solution will be for privatisation to
be implemented the sooner the better and lets get a rly management that has to run trains in order
that the bottom line meets with the money merchants approval - in the black. A railway transport
coy does not succeed unless it had a steady income and we all know that to make money you have to
spend money.

For examples of successful private operations look no further than Wisconsin Central (USA), Tranz
Rail (NZ) or English, Welsh and Scottish Railways (UK). The advantage Uncle Ed has in USA, NZ and
Tasmania is that the rly coy owns (or at least has major control of the infrastructure) the whole
lot. In the UK and probably here as well if he succeeds in purchasing further businesses. is that
he will have to negotiate with a track access coy with the attendent frustrating (and at times
costly) delays.

DEL.