Re: Bluebirds 802/812 now on BG

Roy Marshall (marsh@zip.com.au) wrote:
> > I understand the 2x2 car sets is it.
> > Story goes that V/Line isn't going to accept them until they are totally
> > 'debugged', and able to maintain the schedule.
> > So I ain't holding my breath for them to enter regular service.

> Are they going to take over the Stony Point service eventually?

It's not that simple as "taking over". V/Line Passenger are leasing the
Bluebirds for service, but the Stony Point line is operated by Bayside
Trains. Bayside is subcontracting out the operation of the line. It was
supposed to start with the new 6/12 timetable, but I understand the
Minister hasn't yet made a decision.

Bluebird Rail was invited by Bayside to tender for the Stony Point line,
but IMHO they would be totally unsuited to that sort of service. The
stop-start running would be a nightmare and they would overheat just like
the DRCs did.

WCR and Great Northern were also invited to tender.

Cheers
David