Re: The deterioration of NSW Rolling Stock

Andrew Duffin wrote in message <7754kf$21c$1@grissom.powerup.com.au>...
>On a trip a few months ago to Sydney, I couln't help but notice the state
>of the rolling stock.
>
>CITYRAIL:
>What seems to be happening with many of the older trains is when say
>a seat is vandalized, it just gets patched up and the next day, the train
>is off again.  This is particularly noticeable on the V set interurban
>sets.  These sets are in need of replacement like the 'Red Rattlers'
>were replaced by the Tangara sets as some are getting on to 15 years old.

The only alternative is take a whole carriage out of service for a minor
repair.  At least it's not as bad as the old red rattler days, when a lot of
red sticky tape was used to cover up holes, and masonite used to patch
floors.  I once reported a really bad carriage, where the floor near a
doorway was so spongy it felt like you could fall through it, the floor pan
had obviously rusted through underneath the concrete floor.

>Alot of carrages have graffiti on them, even if it is just a
>little tag by some nitwit.  To Cityrail's credit, the (somewhat annoying)
>Citydecker program has improved the overall state of the fleet.

I thought that Cityrail had a policy of removing graffiti within 24 hours,
obviously they can't keep up with it.  Graffiti is like litter, it breeds.
Idiots see rubbish in the streets, they think it's an acceptable standard
and add to it.  Graffiti vandals have the same mindset.

>COUNTRYLINK
>Not forgetting the XPT, it has its own set of problems too.
>The sets are in bad need of an overhaul.  All they need to do is to make
>a replacement deisel hauled train, replace one of the sets and overhaul
>each set one by one.

A bit easier said than done.  Loco hauled sets can't maintain an XPT
timetable, and Countrylink doesn't have any reserve carriages to able to do
this.  The only solution is to build more rolling stock so that the existing
sets can be progressively refurbished.   I recollect when the Manly ferries
were built the Government thought two would be enough to maintain the
service at a half hour frequency, they did'nt
consider either the turn around times required at the Quay and Manly, nor
the need for routine and unscheduled maintenance.  Finally they saw the
light and built four ships, the minimum required to maintain a reliable
service.

>Hope this helps
>
>Andrew Duffin

Regards