Re: The 48 Class

Ben Staples <98711576@student.hawkesbury.uws.edu.au> wrote in message
<775q5g$cis@ob1.uws.EDU.AU>...
>I'm just asking if anybody knows when the 48 class was introduced in NSW.
>I saw a 48 in the tele-movie "The Leaving of Liverpool" which was based in
>the 1950's, and am wondering if the 48's were around then.
>
>Thanks
>
>Ben Staples

According to Leon Oberg's 'Locomotives of Australia' the class leader 4801
which was the same loco in the 'Leaving of Liverpool' was introduced in
September 1959.

The last of this class of 165 units entered service in October 1970.  A good
many of these useful and reliable branchline locos remain in service.

Regards

David Bennetts
Canberra