Re: Dr Beeching

In article <772o3a$bgn$1@news.ox.ac.uk>,
Ian Johnston <engs0011@sable.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>Clive D.W. Feather (clive@on-the-train.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>
>: I exaggerate a bit, but it appears that in many cases:
>: - fares were credited to the purchase station only
>
>When BR were trying to close the Cambrian Coast line in the eighties they
>went one step further: it was not possible to buy a ticket from Aberystwyth,
>Tywyn and so so to anywhere further away than Shrewsbury. Remarkably enough,
>the revenue from the CC showed a marked and uneconomic decline...>

That can only have been true for (part of) 1980-81, then. I never had any
trouble buying tickets to/from Newcastle at Aberystwyth Station at any time
from 1982 onwards.
Not that Aberystwyth is on the Cambrian Coast line, of course...

--
Andy Breen ~ 	PPARC Advanced Research Fellow
		Solar Physics Group