What no broad gauge ?/520 or 621

I think the only broad gauge lines left in SA are the northern
grain-only lines to Balaklava, Burra and Kapunda, the Barossa line which
is worked on a daily basis for limestone traffic and the line from
Portland across the border to Mt Gambier and Snuggery- operated by
V/Line. Not to mention Victor Harbour and the Adelaide suburban network.
There is a closed broad gauge track from Wolseley to Mt Gambier.

AFAIK, all the operational preserved equipment is at Mt Barker with some
at Port Dock - not sure if this is operational.

The last line to be converted to standard gauge was the Pinarroo (?)
line last year. I would think it is going to be important to eventually
convert the northern broad gauge lines, so that ASR can use their grain
hopper fleet more effectively, though how that leaves the Transadelaide
network I am not sure.

I have no preference for either 520 or 621, but both times I have
visited Adelaide recently I have ruled out the Steamranger trip because
it does not leave from Adelaide. I only had a car for a couple of days
and wouldn't trust to an irregular bus service to make the connection.
I also ruled out the Bluebird to the Barossa because of the high cost-
about $85 is what I was quoted.

Cheers

Ben