See R711's tyres being manufactured!

As you know, R711 ran only one revenue trip last year before being
sidelined with tyre troubles.

Over the summer months, West Coast Railway have commissioned Ring
Rollers in South Africa to manufacture a complete set of new tyres for

R711.  These tyres were manufactured on 17 February 1999.

Steam Media Productions sent expatriate Australian videographer Trevor
Staats to the factory in Springs to cover the actual manufacture for
inclusion in  "1999 - The Victorian Year in Steam" and we are able to
present stills from the whole process here for your enjoyment.

The latest word is that R711 will be back in action sometime around
last third of April '99.

Go to my home page below then follow the R711 links at the top of the
page.

Enjoy!

Regards

Yuri