Re: Minor Magical Mystery Tours on CityRail.

yes Paul, illuminated 'E's were on the odd 85 class - how many? Very few, but
I'm sure someone can let us know exactly. And on a dark night you couldn't even
see the yellow front. They look very much like 80s in the dark.
Alan

>Which is why the then new NSW 85 class electrics were fitted with an
illuminated "E" on the front, so highly trained signal box staff wouldn't
mistake an electric "box" for a diesel one, and sent it down an unwired road!
(With their yellow front, I guess they  *could* have been mistaken for an 80 or
422 on a dark night).