Re: It's still academic

MarkBau1 wrote:

> <<<<<<>What the hell do they do with ALL that sugar???
> >
> >Mark.
>
> Sell it to Coca-Cola and a bunch of other sweet-toothed Yankee
> corporations!>>>>>>>
>
> Must be a lot of Coca Cola/Pepsi guzzlers in Australia now!
>
> FWIW Coke and Pepsi are made from corn syrup in the US. We used to spot 3 whole
> tankcars per week of the stuff at the Denver Pepsi plant.

But here in Oz they still use sugar. Corn syrup is a bit expensive. In
fact as another post points out, the commodity carried is cane, not
sugar. The sugar goes out to the port generally by QR or road. Then it
is generally exported for whatever it gets used for overseas.

It is quite amusing to see the WA iron ore haulers constantly referred
to as real railroads while the sugar cane haulers are ignored. Both are
industrial railroads and have very high efficiency standards. Mackay
Sugar and CSR would have some of the biggest loco fleets in the country
and on my estimate the trackage of Mackay Sugar which is interconnected
would rival Tasrail for distance.

Barry Campbell