Re: Flat locomotive batteries question

Chester wrote:

> I was just wondering how common was it for locomotives in Austraila to
> be disabled by having a flat battery.  What are the usual causes of a
> flat battery (yes I know leaving something on, but what is normaly
> left on) and is it more common here in Australia or overseas.
>
> Thank you
> David Chester
I can not comment on the frequency of flat batteries occurring in
foreign railway systems but is fairly common for Freightcorp in NSW.
If a Locomotive is shut down for more than a few mins the Battery
knife switch is opened to stop the possibility of lights etc. flattening
the batteries.
If a Loco does need a jump start then it necessary to have another
Loco brought along side it to hook up jumper leads.
Newer Locos such as 82,90 and NR classes have a plug in charging point
but I don't think it can be used for jump starting.

The batteries in Locos have a very rough time of it. lots of vibration.
Very high starting currents etc. This leads to the Lead Sulphate that
builds up on the plates to be knocked from the plate and to drop to
bottom of the case. The battery will gradually loose capacity as more
and more lead sulphate builds up on the bottom of the case. Eventually
so much will build up that it will short out the plates and produce
a dead cell and therefore a dead battery.

John Mac