Re: It's still academic

On 19 Feb 1999 21:23:39 GMT, MarkBau1 wrote:

><<<<<<Boo Hiss: 610 mm is a main gauge; sugar tramways are not toys: I watched
>100 wagon freights on these in the mid 1970s; Victoria still doesn't have
>100 wagon freights.  Sugar railways had radio dispatching long before
>others.  Also doo and lack of brakevan?>>>>>>>
>
>Agreed, but I would point out that a 40 wagon VR freight would carry quite a
>bit more freight than a 100 wagon cane train.

Maybe, but the total amount of freight carries on the 610mm railways
in a year probably exceeds the total amount carried on the broad gauge
now.  Not only that, but the route distance is virtually identical.
If there is one more BG line closed the old 5'3" might become the
gauge with the fourth longest route mileage.

And, these days they run cane trains with in excess of 160 bins.  I
will admit that 160 bins equates to only about 800 tonnes of sugar,
and maybe 1000 tones all up, but still a challenge to control with
only loco and a radio controlled brake wagon at the back.

JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html