Re: Australian signalling (was Crossing loop design)

>Western Australia (Old system):-
>
>The first colour light system introduced in WA was simply three aspect
>(G/Y/R) signals on dolly's (brackets) similar to semaphore signals. Each
>three aspect signal would apply to its respective line, decending from the
>signal applying to the straight route eg
>
>These signals varied according to requirements and (IIRC) only a few are
>still in operation.

Well not really, they still are in use throughout most of the system with
the G,Y,R as below and applied to the "old" system as well,  what is changed
is that on some new signals insted of the same lens changing colour there is
a seperate light for each colour(like traffic lights only the other way up).

>Western Australia (New system):-
>
>G = Proceed
>Y = Caution, next signal at stop
>R = Stop
>
>Turnouts are indicated by the use of Junction Route Indicators (JRI's) or

Correct terminology is - Junction Indicator. At least 3 of the 5 lunar
lights to be lit before they apply.

>JI's consist of 5 lunar white lights at 45 or 90 degrees to the left or
>right.
and can also be 135 degrees and Are found at Junctions as opposed to

>dot matrix route indicators
Yes these are - Route Indicators.  Indicate the route to be taken.
Currrently only found on the urban area as far as I know.

>I do not know what is used to warn of a turnout indication in either
system.
>Maybe DW can comment.
Nothing except Driver's knowledge of the road.

>Signal number plates mounted ON the mast denote an Absolute Stop (Home)
>signal.
Actually not only Home signals and are termed "Semi Automatic" because to
put it simply they are normally at stop and placed to proceed by some
person.

>Signal number plates offset to the right of the mast denote a Permissive
>Stop (Automatic) signal.
Automatic is correct they are normally at proceed Y or G and are operated
(put to stop) by the passage of trains, once the train clears the track the
signal restores to proceed.

>In Single Line Automatic sections, Home Arrival signals are of the 3 aspect
>variety (G/Y/R) with offset 'C'and 'L' indicators. IIRC, if the main signal
>is red and both the offset 'C' and 'L' lights are illuminated, the train
may
>proceed into the loop. The 'C' inidicates the loop is clear whilst the 'L'
>indicates the loop points are correctly set. Can someone please confirm
>this.

These signals are actually termed "Arrival" Signals as distinct from Home
Signals there is a difference in operation and rules applicable to - fairly
involved. Don't get too excited about these because after 30 years of
service are soon to be replaced with Home signals. Arrival signals only
exsist between Koolyanobbing East and West Kalgoorlie at Darrine Jaurdi
Wallaroo Stewart and Bonnie Vale.
The "C" mounted on the post directly below the main head, when lit,
indicates that the loop is clear, the points at the oppsite end are set for
the main and any other points on the loop(refuge siding) are set for the
loop.
The "L" mounted to the left of the post and indicates the facing points are
set for the loop.
Neither the "C" or"L" is lit until the points are set by hand to the loop.
and the Arrival will remain at stop.

Well, I hope this clears it up a bit, I used to instruct this stuff so I
understand how difficult it can be, especially from a terminology point
between the different systems points and switches are just the tip of the
iceberg.

regards to all
Brian.>