A new Era Starts For Victoria's Railways

    Next Sunday 14-02-1999 , a private function will be attended by the
Victorian "Government"   and those who tendered for our Publicly Owned
Railway, V/Line Freight Corporation. Those concerned will be told who was
the successful tenderer. Probably be a big party and Stockdale and Kennett
can each pat the other on there back, and tell what a great job they have
Done for the people. [and not to forget there Swiss Bank Accounts]
    On Monday morning an official announcement will be made to the Press,
and the cheque will be handed over. The transfer will take about 8 weeks.
The new owner should be in control by April.
Employees will be told prior to the News Release, who the new owner
is....Locomotive Crews will be sent a message from John Guiry by Train To
Base Radio about 8.00 am on Monday. The message will be Broadcast on all
channels and will come over the loud speakers even if the hand piece is
'hung up".
    Employees will have to wait up till 5 weeks, as some interviews will
take place, to find out if they have a job! Offers will be made during this
time. Those left without a job will be guaranteed a max. of 4 weeks
employment with the PTC, and will be pushed into a Voluntary Retirement
Package, which is worth about
$5000 plus all your leave and superannuration  entitlements. If the employee
resists the Voluntary package,
he or she will be Targeted out on a similar uninspiring sum. An employee
refusing a job offer will be sacked without any package. Job offers will not
necessarily place us in our present locations, or skills.
If a Driver is offered a job as a Ganger, and refuses to accept the job, he
must face an 'independant'
arbitrator, who will decide if the offer can be refused, and may deam that
the employee has refused the offer, and has resigned???
    So I guess all the 'guessing' is soon to come to an end!  God Bless us
All!
Rod :o(