Re: Bulk ore transport to Bell Bay?

Barry Campbell (barryC@qimr.edu.au) wrote:
> David Bromage wrote:
> >
> > Announced yesterday that a manganese smelter is to be built at Bell Bay in
> > Tasmania to smelt ore from the state's north west. Sounds like good news
> > for Tasrail.
> >
> If the manganese is mined in Tassie, perhaps so. But what if it is mined
> elsewhere? Does anyone know where the ore is to be sourced from?

> Barry Campbell

Ben Scanlon emailed me this:

<< Yes, it is planned to rail the magnesite ore from the mine site to Bell
Bay. This will involve construction of a 20km branch line from Tasrail's
Western line from a point west of Burnie south to the mine site.  Some
federal funding will be sought for the construction of the line.  It has
been suggested that the formation of the former TGR Flowerdale to
Preolenna branch line could be used, but as this line was built on the
cheap (with frequent 1:40 grades and sharp curves) and closed in 1931,
there may not be much suitable formation there to use.  Another, longer
alternative is to build west from Tasrail's Emu Bay Railway. >>

Checking the newswires, both sides of politics in Tasmania are supportive
of the project. In fact the opposition has suggested accelerating the
Basslink timetable (converting the Bell Bay power station to gas,
amongst other things). Operations are supposed to commence in 2002.

When was the last new railway construction in Tas? Bell Bay itself?

New locos for Tasrail to haul ore? I forget the name of the junction
(Tamar?), but is it a triangular junction?

Cheers
David