Re: Vintage traffic signals (sidetracked from Tram & Pedestrian Accident Today - 22.12)

Ronald BESDANSKY <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote in message
zQda4.3936$oJ5.9082@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:zQda4.3936$oJ5.9082@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

> David Bennetts <davibenn@pcug.org.au> wrote in message
> 38682df2.0@newshost.pcug.org.au">news:38682df2.0@newshost.pcug.org.au...
> >
> > Snip
>
> >  As for the Geelong lights, I
> > can just remember them as a youngster, they were coloured fluro tubes on
> > poles mounted in the centre of the intersection.  My father drove
through
> > three or four intersections with them before he realised that they were
> > supposed to be traffic lights, having seen nothing like them before or
> > since.
> >
> I heard this used to happen when traffic lights were first installed in
> country towns!
>

> --
> Rgds
>
> Ron BESDANSKY

There used to be some really cute ones at Chelsea or was it Edithvale??

They were a round face with a clock type hand, the face was divided up into
RED-AMBER-GREEN, the hand would rotate through the different colours, whilst
the hand was moving through RED it was obviously "STOP", likewise whilst
operating through GREEN it was "GO" etc.

The beauty of these signals was that you could see when the lights were
going to change.

Ah progress, not we only guess, or pre-empt the changing of the lights!!!

Bob.