Re: Merry Christmas

stephen wrote in message ...
>On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:29:24, "Dave Proctor"
><thadocta@spambait.dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
>
>> It is all out of date now anyway. The generally accepted terms are BCE
>> (Before Common Era) and CE (Common Era) - the Common Era being applicable
>> both the Judaeic peoples and the Christian peoples.
>>
>> Dave
>>

>NOT "generally accepted terms" in this house. Not into political
>correctness.

Nothing "politically correct" about it - more about historical accuracy.

>I consider BCE and CE are actually deceptive as really they are terms
>which have their root in the Christian calendar (without acknowledging
>it). By contrast the terms BC and AD do not seek to hide that the
>calendar is based on the Christian calendar. If we cannot be open in
>this then we should be consistent and change many of the names we use
>for days and months because of their origins in Greek and Roman
>mythology.

But it is a far more accurate way of denoting the different time lines.

The Jewish state does, after all, have its own calendar which has no
relation to the Christian calendar.

BC and BCE is probably a better way to deal with it.

Dave