Re: [NSW] CityRail Guard

I believe that both Dave's and Vanguard's answers are correct.  Sometimes we
have a hell of a bad time but most of the time it's a pretty good job.
    Okay firstly, you go through an interview process with an outside (i.e.
outside the railway) recruitment firm and then you are called to do an exam.
The exam consists of basic questions to determine if you can put things in a
logical order, have any idea of mechanical things and a personality
assessment which is supposed to prove that you are able (or have the right
personality) for the job.  If you get through this stage you are then put
through a school for a certain period of time (read as "I'm not sure how
long the school is these days") - when I went through it was 14 weeks but
now it's been cut down just like most things.  While you are in the school
you are paid a Guard Class 1 (first year) base rate of pay which I think is
something like $625.00 a week gross.  You go through several different
subjects, all of which you are examined on (things such as basic
safeworking, EEO, Environmental issues, customer service (don't laugh), ETR
(faults and failures on electric trains), driving and applying power from
the rear and of course road knowledge (which is basically a walk through the
whole of the metropolitan area teaching you the nuances of each place like
where you can shunt to, where guard's indicators are and whether they work
and what the local working is.
    Guards work a minimum 76 hour fortnight and our basic shift is 7 hours
36 minutes, we can work up to 9 hours 5 minutes rostered and our crib break
consists of 30 minutes (20 minutes to eat and 5 minutes to walk to and
from).   We are allowed to work 12 hours per day (consented overtime) and
can work 13 days per fortnight but we must have 11 hours between shifts that
consist of safeworking duties and eight hours between shifts if we are doing
other duties (such as a day in the school or a quality group - but that's a
different story).  We start in the first year on $16.40 per hour (about
$32500 p.a) and we get a security allowance and ETR allowance every time we
work an electric train (not too sure of how much it is and I can't find a
pay slip).  We get an allowance for afternoon shift and nightshift and our
shifts are at any time of the day or night.
    Generally it's fairly relaxed but sometimes it's the opposite.  For
example, on the day that Granville signal box was zapped I was spat at,
kicked, had an egg thrown at me and was a called a slut all within the space
of about 40 minutes.  In the peak hour daily I can count on being called a
name or yelled to, at least once and usually more.  If you can handle all
that then you're in.....except for the 50% female push at the
moment.....it's making it harder and harder for men to join from externally.
If there's anything I've forgotten or any mistakes, please feel free to
correct me.

Regards to all

Jane
83a8lt$668$2@news1.mpx.com.au">news:83a8lt$668$2@news1.mpx.com.au...