Re: Whats happening with the VFT.

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.496.3855740E@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.496.3855740E@commslab.gov.au...
> Heard on the news this morning that the Feds are still debating whether
the
> VFT will go ahead or not.
> What the hell is left to debate.
> Dont we have a successful bidder .
> Obviously the future of the project may be dependant on the successful
bidder
> raising the necessary finance , if indeed they can , but surely the Govt
has
> by now agreed that the project will proceed.
>
> One hopes that we arnt seeing a re-run of the failed original VFT project.
>
> MD

I have heard whispers that the Liberals will use the cost of Timor
Operations as a means of cancelling this project! It seems that the Oil
lobby /Road Transport Lobby is working very hard to scuttle this and any
other rail project.  They are scared shitless that  the Economics of a high
speed, moden rail transport system might force them off the roads and save
millions of litres of scarce fossil fuels [read  reduce iol coy profits]
Timor is a pretty interesting, cost Was 2.5 billion in the first year,
yesterday newspapers quoted our poor little Johnny as saying $1 billion a
year. Taxes have already been levied to cover a supposed shortfall!
Guess Mr and Mrs Public are to be clobbered again, so what else is new?
Rod