Re: Top secret XPT-II prototype at Thirmere :-)

Are the locomotives  coin the photo below the XPT referred to? If so I have
a few more additions as to the benefits of the XPT II.

1. More modern, powerful and less prone to breakdown
2. more chance of reaching 160km/h without expiring
3.Trackwork can be carried out while the train is waiting for hours in
passing loops
4. Less damage is caused should it leave the rails at high speed
5. Bigger windscreen means that in the event of a signal failure the driver
can see around corners better

I think this shows the desperate need for the government to spend money on
the railways. Not on new ones, but keeping the existing ones safe. Glenbrook
will now be on the map, joining the likes of Granville and Cowan. Other map
features that luckily missed out on being bigger are Hornsby, Concorde West,
Waterfall, Olympic Park, two accidents on the southern highlands,
Beresfield, Central, and the many near misses. In the last few years, there
has been enough evidence to suggest that there are serious problems with
even the most modern infrastructure and training proceedures. Many have been
saying for years that if action wasnt taken, lives would be lost. It took
seven lives for any action to be taken, and while that action is taken the
trains still run. Not only do they still run, but the authorities insist
they are safe. After Glenbrook, a Cityrail spokesman had the nerve to say
that they are capable of running trains without the signals operating
properly.

I wonder if the VFT is going to have the same great reputation?
When will they learn?