Re: Mystery Loco in USA, help please?

rathburne wrote in message <82eu5d$agk$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Hey downunder,  I saw a mystery Locomotive outside of
>New York City last week here in the USA.  It was bright
>green with gold and somewhat based on the USA EMD SD
>50 or 60, but it was different, especially in the rear
>end radiators.

I read this in misc.rail.transport.americas in September, and it may be
relevant ...

From: Jim Fahlstedt <jfahls@netmcr.com>
Subject: A stranger in Greensboro, NC
Date: Saturday, 25 September 1999 7:35

This afternoon, I was eating my lunch later than usual, but at Pomona
yard as is my custom.  A southbound freight (number unknown, but I
suspect 450 from Raleigh) pulled in and stopped to wait for the regular
northbound pig trains to clear the single track between Greensboro and
High Point (Cox to Hoskins on your ETT).  The second unit had a yellow
nose and cab front.  Initially, I thought it was a leased UP unit, but
the yellow wasn't right.  I determined it had a green body, but the
colors weren't right for a CNW unit.

We hiked up to the other end of the yard office/Amtrak station and found
it was NREX 6063, an SD40-2 (sort of).  On the sides, clearly visible
under a coat from a spray can, was the lettering Hammersly Iron.
Obviously, this engine has traveled quite a bit as Hammersly is an
Australian outfit.

I thought folks in this part of the world might want to keep an eye out
for this engine.

Jim Fahlstedt