Re: Rail Transfer Vehicle

On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 21:54:13 +1000, Craig Haber
<albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote:

>G'day,
>
>Ben O'Regan wrote:
>
>> I understand it was a prime mover modified for use on rail/road.
>>
>> Anyone know where I might find how it works, how it was done & how
>> successful it has been.
>
>You can go and have a look at it in operation on Wednesday's for the
>next 4 weeks.  FV are moving surplus vans to storage on the
>Ballarat-Ararat "siding".  The train is hauled Melbourne-Ballarat, at
>Ballarat the loco's reverse onto the rear, the RTL goes onto the front
>and leads the train to the storage site.  There the RTL cuts off and
>drives away, the loco's cut off and return to Ballarat.  It's an early
>morning move though....
>
>Regards,
>CH.
>--
>Craig Haber
>albatross@harnessnet.com.au
>http://www.harnessnet.com.au/ch/
>Proofread carefully to see if you any words out

Thanks Craig,

With work at it's yearly high at hte moment, I don't think a trip to
Vic would quite be in order. (Nice thought though....).

Ben

Emirates Park,
Murrurundi
(Where on any but a rainy day, I can look out the office window, over
the paddocks of horses and see the Great Northern Railway and any
combination you could imagine of 48s, 81s, or 82s (or even a 421 if
you're lucky)