Re: Strategic Reserve.

> I suggest that the abilty of railways to deliver the munitions required
>  by industrial wars, by rail, right to the big gun line and lighter
> muntions
>  almost to the front line trenches may well have had something to do
> with it.

It was the machine guns and wire that created the unbreakable front line,
not the heavy artillery. The artillery was used to try to smash a way
through the wire and kill the enemy machine-gunners, so making a hole in
the front line. It failed until the generals finally learnt better
tactics and also used tanks. By the time of the cease fire the front had
become mobile again, firstly with the big German break-through in early
1918 and then the steady pushing back of the German front in the last few
months of the war.

Brian Rumary, England

http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm