Re: Indian Pacific Crash

John Duncan McCallum <mccallum@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
37D05E2D.9681877B@melbpc.org.au">news:37D05E2D.9681877B@melbpc.org.au...

> Notagunzel wrote:

> > The points are self restoring, and to provide the logic to state when
the
> > train has passed over the points, there is a crude system resembling an
> > axle counter.  This uses commercial proximity detectors & a PLC to count
> > the axles.  BUT...  this 'section' is only between the fouling point of
the
> > loop, and the toe of the turnout, so if the poor soul pushed the reverse
> > button just as the train approached, the points would have motored
across
> > in front of the IP, admitting it into the loop, and on to the goods.
There
> > is therefore, AFAIK, no approach locking.

> To my knowledge, the above arrangement is/was only installed at loops
> between
> Port Augusta and Tarcoola. West of the latter location, all loops were
> fully
> manual.

AFAIK the loops between Pt Augusta & Tarcoola once had arrangements similar
to Coonamia - Stiring North, but the system I described above was installed
on all loops Pt Augusta - Parkeston & Alice Springs.  I think when the Pt
Augusta - Tarcoola loops had 3 Position Autos & point motors, the loops nth
& west of Tarcoola were manual.  Perhaps this is what you are thinking of??
:o)

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.