Re: East Swanston Dock (Patricks)

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999 12:03:30 +1000, "Brian Evans (IOM)"
<bevans@omni.com.au> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>Can anyone please tell me if the rail sidings are still in use at that Site
>and if so how are they connected back to the other side of Footscray Road in
>Melbourne.

No Brian, Patricks' siding is located parallel to Appleton Dock and
direct rail access to East Swanson Dock is just a fond memory.

There is an easement that swings off the Patricks' siding between
stacks of containers towards East Swanson Dock which may still have BG
rail pretty well buried in it; BG track is still visible where it
crosses the road into a another freight forwarder's premises.  It may
be that it will turn into a rail line some day.

Have a look at
http://www.railpage.org.au/steam4me/images/current/appleton.jpg for an
overall view of Appleton Dock, the right most track in the foreground
(set of points on it midway down) is Patricks' siding.  The line that
disappears into the bottom of the photo swings almost underneath the
northern approaches to the Bolte Bridge and in fact crosses Footscray
Road just west of the freeway and under the north bound access ramp.

As a footnote, the old railway easement that used to carry the line
away from the Appleton Dock track towards Swanson Dock West is being
converted into a street, probably to allow truck access to the new
silos (would that be right Stephen?)

Regards

Yuri
--