Re: Strategic Reserve.

dave pierson wrote:

>         Yup.  But if the lines are heavily _electrified_, then any
>         'problem' can take them down.  Self propelled motive power
>         (steam, diesel, wotever) is better than electics under those
>         circumstances, be the disaster manmade or natural...

Which is why, I believe, that the allies built those hundreds of steam locos.  Mainly for use
over lines that were electrified but that had suffered damage to the overhead or where the
national power grid had been bombed.  As you say, it's easier to steam a kettle for a few
months, or years, and get the basic system up and running and repair the overhead and
national grid as time permits.  Many of the war department locos where only designed for a
year or twos use and then were meant to be throw away.  They were built as cheaply as
possibly.  Many of those destined for the warmer climes of France and the low countries never
even had their boilers lagged.

Even then, many hundreds gave years and years of service and lasted into the 1960s.

--
Cheers
Roger T.