Re: Platforms (trams)/ tram announcements

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
> : > A while ago there was a thread about platforms for trams at the corner
> : > of Swanston Street and Flinders Street.  Last weekend they constructed
a new
> : > platform for trams heading east in Flinders Street at the corner of
Swanston
> : > street.  No more Z's on North Balwyn.
>
> : Did you get any pics, Chris.
>
> Of the Z's running North Balwyn services, or the platform.
>
> As the platform has only just been put in, then there is plenty of time to
> take pics.
>
> I think the main reason for the platform is that it creates a physical
> barrier, not just a yellow/white line on the ground.  Keeps the tracks a
> little more clear of people.

The platform isn't finished yet as they have to come back (when they feel
like it) and put in the shelters (currently holes in the ground covered with
ply wood). On the 70 tram today, they had an announcement saying something
like " Welcome to the new Yarra trams. We value your feedback... etc... take
a brochure from near the ticket vending machine." It sounded a lot better
than the Swanston trams which has phones ringing in the background and other
people talking...

cheers
Johann