Re: US Grain Hoppers for Victoria!

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 12:39:38 +1000, steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J
Sos/Melbourne) wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:12, "Rod" <berrlina@bigpond.com> wrote in
>aus.rail.bombers.flag99, and I selectively quote:
>
>>Did Freight Victoria need a licence to import them?
>>Is the leaked number of 1200+, correct?
>>Are the Locomotives going to run, or are they going to be gutted and used to
>>repower existing engines [which are within our loading gauge]
>
>Assuming (ass of u and me <g!>) this rumour is correct....
>
>Stupid Question #1:  what's wrong with FV's current hoppers?  Is the
>grain market going to grow that much?
>
>Stupid Question #2:  how do we know it's FV and not ATN/WC (who have
>made no secret of their desire to break into the Victorian market)?
>
>Stupid Question #3: As super sprinters take over from diseasels, the
>four pass As and the whole N class are going to become surplus to
>requirements.  It would seem to me that there are potentially three
>bidders for these broad gauge locomotives, FV, WCR, ATN/WC.  How
>certain is it that FV will get these locos and how serious is ATN/WC
>about a presence in Victoria?
Stoopid question #4 would they fit into the Vic loading gauge???

Stoopid question #5 would they run them half empty cos they would have
a capacity of at least 100 tonnes???

Stoopid question#6 would they run them with existing VHGF wagons as
the braking system would be incompatible ABDX versus westinghouse type
W???

Apologies to Yuri .

Regards Paul Johnston (MNRC)