Re: Cleaning Ballast - Why do they need to do this?

Thanks for the help in regard to the use of  sleepers/ties.I have seen the
word used often in Australia and I am not a yank so I will remain
unforgiven.(I thought that sleepers was more a layman's term and ties more a
tecnical description).

I have noticed on the line that sleeper relpacement will be done soon(from
paint marking on old sleepers). The track in question passes through a steep
cutting just outside of Orange. I wasn't sure from your reply if ballast
cleaning, or relaying of track would take place. But I would assume from
track condition and increasing  traffic using the line that maintenance work
like this would take place.