Re: Fast Ferries to Compete with Trains

Mylorace wrote in message <19990824214553.12803.00004350@ng-cr1.aol.com>...

>I doubt you will get much other than Negitive
>answers here David,
>Your Caves Express Idea may interest a
>new and forward thinking Co like GSR or
>west coast rail, but I am afraid most here are
>not able to see the strength of the proposal.

There is no strength to the proposal.

>I think it would work, given, Good service,
>A fair trial, cooperation with the tour bus Co's

He is proposing a commuter operation - Mt. Vic to Sydney morning peak,
return evening peak. If there is money to be made, it would be in the
tourist operation during the day, in which case it would be silly basing it
at Valley Heights.

As has been pointed out, most commuters are more interested in sleeping than
ating breakfast on the train in the morning. They will not pay the extra
money just so they can sleep on a loco-hauled train.

>and local tourist operators, and venues.

A better option would be an evening train to Bathurst, or maybe even
Orange - you could retime NP23/24 Northern Tablelands Xplorer, so that it
arrives in Sydney earlier, then use the 2 car set off it to form an evening
service to Bathurst - then you would be able to market an evening departure
on WP29 to Katoomba or Leura, returning on WT28 a few days later.

DaveP