Re: New Caves Express

David Martin wrote:

> Back in the 1920's & '30's, the Caves Express ran from Sydney to Mt
> Victoria. A road coach took passengers from Mt Victoria to Jenolan Caves.
>
> How about a new Caves Express (or Honeymoon Express as it was also known)?
>
> Here's what I envisage.
>
> Rolling stock would be old-style carriages. Steel frame, modern suspension,
> lacquered timber lining. Power would come from an old, refurbished, electric
> loco. Home base would be Valley Heights Loco Depot.
>
> The new Caves Express (or Honeymoon Express?) would provide a luxury service
> from Sydney to Mt Victoria & back every day.
>
> What a waste running empty between Valley Hts & the city. What can we do
> about that?
>
> Springwood, early in the morning. Commuters board the.....what should we
> call it? They have reserved seats, with tables. Power outlets for notebook
> computers. A cafeteria which also sells newspapers. Etc.
>
> More ideas:
> Double-decker cafeteria car. Upstairs is the eating area; downstairs is the
> kitchen, take-away counter, & a passageway for people passing through the
> carriage (keep them out of the eating area).
>
> Video screens. Caves Express, between Sydney & Penrith, screens video about
> the Blue Mountains. Beyond Penrith, it could inform passengers about where
> they are & what is outside the windows (computer controlled & aware of
> trains actual location). Commuters could get news, educational material,
> etc.
>
> Comments?

It would be nice but:
Where would you get the carriages?
Where would you get the finance?
Where would you fit another train in an already tight timetable?
(Remember the springwould - City would be in peak hour. The train would
also hold less than a V set)
Why would anyone want to pay extra when most of the time they are
asleep?
How would you staff the train?
Would you have full productivity from your staff?
The train service will have to make money. Otherwise we will have
another usless operator asking for government handouts to keep running a
novelty train service whilst trying to say that they are a legitimate
company.

Don't get me wrong if it would work, I'll be all for it. Others
including my self have thought of it but have come up with the above
problems.

rgds