Re: Lilydale (and Macleod)

<<<<<Not always we use to remove the half pilot staff at Bayswater sometimes
then use
caution orders for each train often at night when the ATC system went down.>>>

Hang on a minute,
Was the pilot staff removed because you had no other way of securing the signal
to stop? Removing the pilot staff at your end didn't acheive much, it was the
pilot staff at the other end that you needed to worry about as that pilot staff
secured the signal toards you. Pleses explain a bit more.

Question for David, I always assumed that withdrawl of the pilot staff only
secured the signals at that location, NOT the signals at the other end of the
single line section, is that correct?

I think the whole idea of pilot staffs was a transitional thing from good old 2
position to more modern signalling. The thought being, I'm sure, that if the
new fangled electric systems screwed up you just turned the section into a good
old staff section and what better way to do that than to have as the staff two
"things" that when withdrawn secured the signals to stop, very definately
cancelling the CTC or ATC.

I wonder if at the start of ATC/CTC days they were thinking that the trains
could just run through the section with both pilot staffs, (no pilotman) till
it got fixed, hence the term "staffs"

Just my museings

Mark.

Just my thoughts