Re: Mt Gambier network - thoughts

fg wrote:

<snip - read the original post >
> An obvious step forward would be connectedness to the rest of rail network.

> There are 2 options:
> a) Change to SG
> b) Connect to BG

<more snip>

> Between Mt Gambier and Coonawarra the track is laid on sleepers, of which
> 60% are steel sleepers. I've never seen steel sleepers, but the article says
> they exist.  Do they?  Is this a problem? or does one need to completely
> change these sleepers when changing gauge.

The steel sleepers in this section were laid when the line was converted
from narrow to broad gauge as an interiim step towards standardisation
and were punched for broad and standard gauges according to reports.

<still more snip>

As the lines are bordered by sg on both sides, I couldn't see any
alternative other than gauge conversion.  It has been got down to a
pretty fine art. This seems to be a line that just won't die.

Barry Campbell