Re: Trams are Cars?

> When I was a kid growing up in Melbourne, the signs at tram stops read
> "hail cars here" for request stops and "cars stop here" for compulsory
> stops. They were changed to "tram stop" about the time the Zs began
> entering service in the mid-1970s. The original "tram stop" signs even
> had a stylised Z on them.

In fact, there is still one of each of those types of signs (Hail Cars Here
& the stylised Z type) up alongside public tram track in Melbourne (i.e. not
in a Museum).

Anyone else know where they are?

If anyone's interested I'll take some photos & put them up on my web page
(assuming they haven't been removed in the last month or so).

Also, for a while, the green & yellow tram stop signs which pre-dated the
current ones had the wording "Trams stop here" and "Hail trams here". This
was only 5 years ago, or so. I always figured they were designed by a gunzel
in the department.

Regards,

Mike Alexander
(malex@bigfoot.com)