Re: new rail hub for River Don in Launceston

Capt. Warwick J. Somerville. <marivcru@labyrinth.net.au> wrote in message
37AFB6EF.CB7A6A95@labyrinth.net.au">news:37AFB6EF.CB7A6A95@labyrinth.net.au...
> To whom it may concern.
>
> Just look at book that was given to us to read.
>
> Is the Van Diemen National Railway (out of a book circ 1950)
> still operation.
>
> They had lines running from Smithton to Stanley, Stanley to
> Burnie, Rosebery to Burnie, Burnie to Devonport, Devonport
> to Evandale, George to Launceston, Launceston to Evandale,
> Evandale to Conara Junction,St Marys to Conara Junction,
> Conara Junction to Hobart & Hobart to Maydena.
>
> Yours Sincerely
> Capt. W.J.Somerville

This is Tasra1l which is now a private company. The line from Smithton to
Stanley is closed, Stanley to Burnie is partly closed, St Marys to Conara
Junction is closed from St Marys to Fingal, Hobart to Maydena is closed from
Boyer? to Maydena (but there is a preservation group based at New Norfolk on
this line). The Herrick line is not mentioned, it was closed but I think
some has re-opened recently. I assume by George they mean Georgetown but the
line actually goes to Bell Bay.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton