Re: VN, VSH sets

Michael Anonymous asked a few questions about V sets.
The couplers in the VSH are exactly as the vehicles had them when in other
consists, a legacy of the couplers which they had when Harris emu vehicles.

I am surprised that this was possible.  When SH sets were created, the hep
wiring was done on the cheap: former control circuits were used.  This
limited the amount of current which could be transmitted.  It was found
that four carriages could be powered, but six always required pull-push
working or a central powervan.  Now the limit has been cribbed to five.
Have the carriages been rewired with conventional hep cabling?

The V coding, of course, indicates five carriages; F had already been used
to indicate four.  VLine has strayed so far from the fixed consist concept,
that it may have been timely to abandon set coding too.

When Qantas bought its first 707s, it planned to call them F-jets (fan
jets); marketing people convinced management to use V-jets (from the Latin
vannus, a fan) instead!
--
Regards
Roderick Smith