Re: Movable span bridges

Derick Wuen wrote in message <37aafa29.0@iridium.webone.com.au>...
>Thanks to all those who posted replies or emailed. Corrections welcomed.

<etc.>

JERVOIS BRIDGE, PORT ADELAIDE

Port Adelaide electric tram services ran Albert Park - Semaphore and
Rosewater - Largs from 1917 to 1934/35.

>From "Port Adelaide Transport - Eighty Years" by J. C. Radcliffe in Electric
Traction, January 1959:

"A continued source of disruption was the Jervois swing-Bridge, which was
subject to many quirks of fancy, and quite often refused to close correctly
in hot weather.  When this occurred, a well tried shuttle timetable each
side of the bridge was used, with passengers walking over the partly closed
span."

>From "Altered Route for Two of Adelaide's Trolleybus Lines" by C. J. M.
Steele in Electric Traction, July 1960:

"Trolleybuses ceased running over the Jervios Bridge on 18/6/60. ... The
Jervois Bridge, the centre portion of which swings on a large caison, has
been the object of some concern ... Although infrequently opened, it has
"jammed" several times. ... an inspection during March of this year revealed
that the wooden pylons supporting the approaches were dangerously eaten
away."

PYRMONT BRIDGE, SYDNEY

Never trams!  Only monorail.

CONSTITUTION DOCK, HOBART

Definitely a "hinged" bridge.

ROBINVALE, NSW

AHRS Bulletin 738 (April 1999) indicates that trains ran from Robinvale to
Korakee between 1930 and 1933.

BIRKENHEAD BRIDGE, PORT ADELAIDE

Do we admit trolleybuses to aus.rail?  Bits from Electric Traction between
1960 and 1963:

Two elevating bascule spans.  First trolleybus was Sunbeam 519 on 28/5/1960,
Largs trolleybuses re-commenced on 29/8/1960 and Semaphore trolleybuses
re-commenced around February 1961.  The last trolleybuses were 526, 519 and
530 running an *ARHS* tour on 13/07/1963.  (which supports the suggestion
that trolleybuses are nearly rail!).

FREMANTLE

Can't find any references to opening bridges.  The North Fremantle tram
route closed in 1938 when a new road bridge was built.

Regards

Bill