Re: Y2K Fears to Stop Cityrail Trains

jumbojim@my-deja.com wrote:

> The SRA might use a Y2k proof Unix box, but does Energy Australia,
> Integral Energy, signalling hardware/software suppliers, train radio
> hardware/software suppliers, telstra, optus, railcom.

[snipped to avoid repetition]

I would hope, that most Power Generation authorities
have exhaustively tested their control computers.
We certainly have up here, each unit was placed on line
and the computer clock was advanced to five minutes
before "that dreaded" date rollover, the new year
ticked over and the Generators kept on doing what they
do best, making electricity.

The control system/software vendors have based their
systems on 32 bit hardware and programming and already
knew there would not be a problem, BUT we still tested.

I don't dismiss out of hand that the system I operate
will not have a glitch somewhere, but we are running on
top shelf gear from Rockwell/Allen Bradley, and ABB
(ASEA), also Motorola based Leeds & Northrup.

We are not talking ancient main frames or DOS here, but
dedicated control systems that were engineered for a
long and useful life.  They all use long date format
assigned to a very large integer.  No short cuts to
save memory, which is where this Y2K started from.

----Terry Burton
<< remove OZ for Email reply.>>