Re: Concord West etc

Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST) <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:CwCo3.16473$yD2.36125@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
<snip>, surely some sort  of AWS (Automatic Warning
> System) MUST now be on the agenda?

I fail to see how this will solve the problem. Do you fully understand how
AWS works? Maybe you are referring to ATP (Automatic Train Protection). It
would be an improvement but very costly. Westrail EMU's are fitted with an
Ericsson ATP system that works very well. It is identical to QR's ATC
(Automatic Train Control) system which also works very well.

> I noticed in Japan, that all train drivers seem to have some little ritual
> they perform whenever they pass a signal - it consists of raising the
> finger of the right hand as if to say "yes, seen that one".

This is true. If the signal is at Stop, they must stop the train, stand up
and point to the signal until it clears. They also verbally announce speed
boards as they pass them, even though no one is there to hear them.

> Is there/could
> there be any such equivalent here?

The Japanese culture is a heavily regimented one. A driver will do what he
is told , no question. In fact, their respect of a Loco Inspector is very
high. I have seen it first hand. Due to typical Australian culture, this
system would not work. Most drivers would think the system idiotic and fail
to use it. Moreso, Loco Inspectors would agree and not enforce it.

If you want safety, you have to pay big bucks for gadgetry. There is no
compromise.

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, QLD