Re: Better Sunday Trains (Melb)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:05:28 +1000, "Notagunzel"
<notagunzel@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Don't get too excited, as the devil is in the detail.  AFAIK there will be a
>Saturday Timetable and a Sunday timetable, which will be the same after
>approx. 1000 hours, but the Sunday mornings will remain as is.

I read that all/most of the new sunday services will be between 1100
and 1900, and that there will be 20 minutes frequencies,on all lines,
except Dandenong-Pakenham/cranbourne (tram frequencies will be
increased to around 12 mins on most routes)  Apperantly, the total
number of services to Eltham and Epping is to be almost doubled.  This
would seem to suggest that the frequency will be more than 20 mins (to
epping, at least)

>The logic is
>simple.  Everybody still goes to church on Sunday mornings, don't they?

No, but providing a better service during late morning/afternoon on
sundays (and saturdays too) does make some sense.

>Actually beyond Ringwood, the headway becomes slightly ridicules, 30 minutes
>before 1000, and 40 after.  This is because on Sundays currently, there is a
>30 minute headway out of the city, and every train has a connection at
>Ringwood, whereas on Saturdays currently, there is a 20 minute headway, and
>trains alternate between LIL/BEG.

Yes, quite ridiculous.  I rekon that they should keep the sunday
timetable (to Belgrave/Lilydale) as it is now, but with earlier AM
services, and provide a service on saturday which is similar, but runs
every 20 mins.

Also, the last 3 trains to Cranbourne on weekdays, which currently
terminate at Dandenong Mon-Thursday, will now run to cranbourne every
day.

Regards,
Chris Brown