Re: Loco-hauled passenger trains in Western Australia

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
hJxU2.15$ed3.339548@news0.optus.net.au">news:hJxU2.15$ed3.339548@news0.optus.net.au...
> Damian Clement (damian@vwtype3.freeserve.co.uk) wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me if there are any loco-hauled passenger trains in
Westrail
> > territory apart from the Indian Pacific? If so what traction is used?
>
> The last regular loco hauled pass was the Australind, replaced with
> railcars in 1987(?).
> November 14 1987 hauled by Xa1405 & Xa1402 which both survive in the care
of the ARHS WA Divn. One day we might see another of these mighty Metro Vick
machines return to active service in all its oily and smoky glory.
Xa1401 is still operated by Hotham Valley railway and in fact I saw it from
my office 19 floors up in Perth's CBD a few weeks ago working a midweek
trip.
It notched up past the Claisebrook EMU depot throwing clouds of blue smoke
into the atmosphere. One of my colleagues saw it and asked what it was. Oh
it's a diesel hauled train, he looked at me as if to say diesels don't make
that much smoke. X (a & b) do!
Regards
NMF