Re: Melbourne's Icons (was Melbourne's Anti-tram Lord Mayor)

Hi there,
I thought not many people knew of the stock pile of W,s at Newport,
last count there were 153 trams in total not all W,s and some from
interstate.
Word is heritage or not those east wing buildings are going to the Railway
muesum
and preserving them is not on the cards. Steam Rail has to move also
because of
West Coast aquiring 5 roads for Sunday services.V/Line depot also going to
Rail
preservation.New name for whole orginazation belived to be RAILWORKS with
old Fountain station already named so.
Finally things are moving down there and Electrail doing a great job on
their rolling stock. Buildings are getting repaired.
The W,s are nice and sacred for us, But to those who drive them as a job
would prefer a modern tram. The goverment didnt kill the W , the drivers
union did and for a good reason.
The W, s contain the old CHOPPER DC drive system, ( you know the one that
blasts your car radio as you drive past.) which are course and electrically
very noisy.
Their speed and brake control are lousy and cold as ice or hot as hell,
which to drivers is demanding at the best of times, driving a W can only be
done for pleasure and not as a day to day job. I reckon it would be lousy
to drive a W and feel sorry for the drivers and i love W,s and never have
driven one...............

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in article
<371344B5.D98F6D30@ancc.com.au>...