Re: XPT tractive effort curves

In article <iJES2.11$Qv4.467472@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>Subject: XPT tractive effort curves
>Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:47:26 GMT

>I've scanned an XPT tractive effort curve diagram from a 1984 Comeng sales
>brochure. http://www.railpage.org.au/xpt/speed.jpg

Just out of interest I took the figures from Davids diagram and fed then into
my Trainmaster XP power car model to see how well a single XP power car + 5
sitting cars would go between Melb & Albury.
Surprisingly well actually , losing only 6 minutes over the existing schedule.
Most if the lost time is on the grades between Broadmedows & Heathcote Jnc .
130 km/h on the flat is still acheivable with a longer than normal
acceleration time.
Not a bad effort when you consider that a single XP power car only has around
1300 HP available for traction .

MD