Re: Pedestrians give way to cars

The cat walked across David McLoughlin
<davemcl@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz>'s keyboard and wrote:

>I marvel when I visit Australia, the US or European countries how
>motorists come to an immediate  halt if I even loiter near a pedestrian
>crossing, let alone approach one with the intent of crossing.

Not in my neck of the woods (California, US)!  Although stopping for
pedestrians is the law here, it is very seldom obeyed.  I cannot count
how many times I have been nearly rear-ended for stopping at a
crosswalk (marked AND unmarked!) to let someone cross.

| James D. Umbach             |          apostle (at) mother.com            |
| Citrus Heights, California  | my web site: http://www.mother.com/~apostle |
|  (for another few days)     |     BILL: GET NATO OUT OF YUGOSLAVIA NOW!   |
My pet peeves, installment #3:  When I am with my Mother in her wheelchair, and
store clerks ask ME what she wants.  I always say, "I don't know, ask her!"