Re: VGR News

Hunslet (hunslet@cia.com.au) wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 06:11:06 GMT, tonyl646@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> >The Victorian Goldfields Railway now has a web site at
> >

> >Driver experience also about to be launched - drive a VR steam loco with GY's
> >etc on a VR branch line in a 50/60's atmosphere.

> Great, but I hope that one gets a chance to OPEN the throttle.   When
> I was ther in January, the maximum speed allowed appeared to be about
> 10 km/h!

On SGR you at least got up to 50km/h, before VicTrack closed the access
line and Steamrail took its loco back. The best effort I ever saw was K190
maintain a steady 55km/h up Bena Bank with three BWs and a CW van behind,
and yours truly as Guard.

Interestingly, one driver who is a member of both VGR and SGR said that
driving a T on the South Gippsland line was the first time he'd ever got a
loco into transition. A V/Line driver quipped that some of the Dynon types
are into transitiion "before they're off the pit". :)

Cheers
David