Re: What happened to *last* week's Ghan?

On 9 Apr 1999 12:12:23 GMT, "Roderick Smith" <rodsmith@werple.net.au>
wrote:

>I heard on Thursday that the eastbound had been blocked in western Victoria
>when a preceding freight was in a level-crossing collision at about
>Dimboola.  Ghan arrived at Melbourne Spencer St at about 1.30 and left at
>about 2.30.
>
>In a similar earlier incident, the train was terminated at Stawell, and
>originated at Ararat.  I don't know why the strategy was not adopted again,
>but perhaps buses were unavailable.
that's correct but missing a little detail the train terminated
Stawell ran empty to Maroona reversed a new loco ran ex melbourne
light engine and ran empty cars to Ararat and thence formed the west
bound ghan and the west bound engine ran light from Maroona to
melbourne.
I was the driver in the east bound one ex dimboola on said day the
Ghan was 8 hours late.
PS the speed between Maroona and Tatyoon loop has been increased to 80
kmh WOOO HOOO and it rides real nice too
regards Paul Johnston (nrc Melb)