U sets in "The Matrix" ??

The new film "The Matrix" shot in Sydney last year has a scene at an
underground railway station where several trains resembling the old
interurban "U sets" are seen.

The station itself is dark, dirty and has an architecture that resembles
the typical underground station seen in other US movies. The three
trains, two moving through at high speed and one stationary at the
platform, are only glimpsed briefly. The two moving trains are shown as
front end shots approaching - the lights shown are unlike any I have
seen on CityRail trains - as well as side shots of a single car moving
past. In the brief side views the metallic sides looked very much like
those on the U sets. In the one stationary car scene, the seating looked
like that on the U sets with front facing seats but the door seemed to
be automatic - the stationary car was quite possibly just a manufactured
mock-up.

Watch for it if you see the movie. The movie itself was, in my opinion,
very good and one of the better ones that I have seen this year.

Peter Ware